Learn how to make an egg sandwich. It’s quick and easy, perfect for breakfast or snack time and you can customize with your favorite toppings!
Egg sandwiches are such a great meal option for almost any time of day. They’re perfect for breakfast, or breakfast for dinner, but they also make a great snack. Serve them on whole grain bread and add some avocado and you’re getting a perfect blend of protein, carbs and healthy fats!
What Goes On An Egg Sandwich
Egg sandwiches can be as simple or fancy as you’d like. All you really need are eggs and bread, but there are so many different ways you can customize an egg sandwich. Here are a few ideas:
- Add your favorite cheese!
- Add some fruits and veggies – like a handful of leafy spinach, some roasted red peppers, a few sauteed mushrooms and onions or some mashed avocado and a juicy tomato.
- Change up the bread – use an English muffin or bagel instead of bread or even fold it into a tortilla.
- Add a spread – cream cheese, hummus or mustard could really elevate the sandwich.
- Throw on some leftover pulled pork, sliced sausage or even some smoked salmon.
How To Make An Egg Sandwich Step by Step
Learning to fry an egg is one of the first more advanced kitchen skills I teach my kids. After lots of talks about hot pans and stove safety, a fried egg generally just requires buttering a pan, cracking an egg into it and flipping it once.
To make an egg sandwich:
- Turn on a pan and add some butter.
- Put toast in the toaster.
- Crack an egg into a hot pan.
- Poke the yolk if desired.
- When the whites are no longer clear, flip the egg over and cook another 30 seconds or so.
- Spread avocado on toast.
- Top with cooked egg and cheese or other toppings if desired.
Watch my six-year-old teach you how to make an egg sandwich:
FAQ’s about making an egg sandwich
What To Serve with An Egg Sandwich
Egg sandwiches can easily be a meal or snack in and of themselves and don’t necessarily require side dishes but if you’re looking to round out your meal, try serving alongside some bacon or sausage (if you don’t include that on your sandwich), fresh fruit, yogurt or even a smoothie!
What type of egg do you eat on an egg sandwich?
We prefer to use fried eggs for our egg sandwiches but some people prefer a runny yolk. If you do, don’t poke the yolk and be very careful when flipping the egg so that the outside cooks but the yolk stays runny.
Another option is to scramble a few eggs with chopped vegetables mixed in and spoon those onto your sandwich. A piece of cheese melted on top can help hold them together and make transferring easier.
Can egg sandwiches be frozen?
Yes, egg sandwiches can be made ahead of time and frozen. Here are a few recipes to try:
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Ultimate Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
Egg sandwiches are a basic cooking staple that every home cook should have in their back pocket. They can be made simply for a quick meal or snack or dressed up to make a meal impressive enough for guests and then can often be made or customized based on what you have on hand in your fridge or pantry!
Once kids learn this skill, kids can quickly and easily make themselves a healthy breakfast or snack.
What do you put on your egg sandwiches?